About SamiK

I'm a Library Director for a small(ish) Texas town with a desire to share my love of books and the library with my community.

Currently, I am working towards my MLS (Master of Library Science) from Texas Woman's University (my alma mater!).

When I'm not treading through a pile a school work and work work, I make precious memories with both my handsome men at home. Whether we are playing with the sand between our toes, making a campfire, or just taking in a movie at home, every moment is unique.



Powered by Blogger.

My Blog Designer

September 29, 2011

Book Review: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (slight spoiler)

Wow.
That describes it from page 1 to page 170.
170 pages of wow.

Elizabeth Scott has been on my radar ever since I saw Living Dead Girl on the processing shelf and watched as her books, intense in appearance, became part of the collection. I didn't get the nerve to take one home until last night when I wanted a light read. It may look "light" with its one to three page chapters and 1/2" width, but the content inside was overflowing with depth. It was like Mary Poppins' magical purse; it was small to the eye but what it contained was never ending.

I have to admit that it wasn't completely what I thought it was going to be about, although I was pretty close. Originally I thought Alice didn't know she was kidnapped, but in Chapter three Scott makes it clear that Alice wasn't always Ray's (in my eyes) prisoner. Although there is no mystery to her kidnapping, Alice disturbing and haunting story kept me glued from start to finish waiting for an ending that only left me disappointed. No, not because it wasn't good, but because I don't if she died or lived. All Scott leaves us with is that Alice is free from Ray's sexual, physical, mental, and verbal abuse.

On that note--if you are sensitive to any abuse (whether you are young or an adult), be warned that Scott did not sugarcoat in this story. Although she was not graphic, it is evident of what takes place. Because of this I don't recommend this to anyone under 13, but in the end it is up to the reader (and parent if they are minor).

0 comments:

Twitter Email

Rating System

IT WAS AMAZING!!!! You should be at the book store right now buying it! :)
I really liked it. You should def check it out and give it a shot
It was ok. At least read the synopsis on the back.
Eh....It was alright. It's borrow from a friend material.
Leave it on the shelf!!

Followers

Grab My Button


Moonlight Mayem

The Princess of Storyland

Jake Project

2012 Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Samantha has read 6 books toward her goal of 24 books.
hide